On These Pages Are The Stories Of Our Family We Go Together ! Welcome To The World As Viewed Through Our Eyes
Lynette .......... Caedmon .......... Libby .......... Tom

Monday, October 26, 2009

Lynette's ER Story

Disclaimer: If you're not one for blood and such, you may not want to scroll down much farther.

So...last Sunday, I decided to feed Caedmon's and my pumpkin cravings by making some pumpkin muffins. Being that I am trying REALLY hard to eat healthy, I searched the Internet for a healthy recipe and found one that sounded quite yummy - Pumpkin Oatmeal Muffins. I should have been a bit suspect at the almost total absence of sugar, but I gathered the ingredients and mixed up a batch. Although they were intended for Monday's breakfast, I cut one into fourths and we each tried a bit after dinner on Sunday. Unfortunately, the reviews were not promising. Even my pumpkin afficionado Caedmon did not finish his small piece. In an effort to save my muffins, I decided to whip up some honey, cinnamon butter with my brand new immersion blender.

After the kids were in bed, I pulled out the ingredients and got to work. Unfortunately, it didn't go as smoothly as I expected. The butter kept getting stuck in the blender. Very carelessly, I used my finger to try to scrape some of the butter out (I am cringing as I type this). Of course, I did this with the blender off (but still plugged in) but I accidentally hit the on button with my right hand. I'm sure I can spare you any more details (and I know you are now cringing with me...or very quickly closing this web page)...

Tom was still upstairs in Caedmon's bedroom so I yelled to him (exact words), "Tom I cut my finger... and I think it's really bad." Tom got me set up with paper towel and some ice and quickly grabbed the kids from their beds got us all in the car and we headed to the ER. He never really told me how bad it looked, but prepared me for what would happen next in the ER... from the would being irrigated, to a local digital nerve block of my finger for exploration and repair (if possible), and potentially amputation, even scarring and permanent disfigurement of the finger! A career as a hand model was no longer in question for me.

I started praying fervently and God answered. Even Caedmon declared to me, "Mommy, you don't need to worry. God will be with you!" We got to the ER and fortunately there was no one else in the waiting room. For the damage done, the pain was very tolerable. The blade apparently spiraled down my finger tip, cutting and shredding, fracturing bits of bone off internally, ripping my nail into 3 pieces, and cutting through the fleshy parts of my finger. Initially, with all the blood and torn tissue, it barely was recognizable as my fingertip. Tom had to stay in the waiting room with the kids so I was in the treatment room by myself. It was a lot of waiting as the doctors were changing shifts at 8 pm and we arrived around 7:20. Even through all of the waiting and the 19 stitches which took over an hour as the ER doc had to figure out by drawing diagrams how to put the pieces back together, God made His presence so real to me. I think the ER doc had asked Tom if we wanted a plastic surgeon to be called in, but due to the acuteness of the situation, Tom told him to proceed and do his best. I just kept praying and singing praise songs and saying verses and as long as my thoughts were focused on Him, the pain was minimal. We returned home 4 hours later with some very tired children.

The next evening, Tom took me to see a co-worker who is a hand surgeon. He said that the ER doc had done a great job with the stitches and that the cuts and open fractures looked like they would heal fine. Initial sensory testing indicated most of my sensation to be amazingly intact, and I could still flex and extend my fingertip. Praise God!

It has been a week and tonight I will go to the hand surgeon to have the wound re-evaluated and get my stitches out.

Lesson learned: Don't try to make something healthy into something unhealthy.

Okay, okay...and unplug sharp tools before you go putting your fingers too close to the blade.

By the way, I asked Tom to throw that evil immersion blender away, but he refused! I think he's waiting to see if psychologically I am ever going to be able to use the blender again.

Pictures of the sewn up finger are below:



2 comments:

  1. Wow, Thank God! you are very brave and calm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, Lynette! So glad things turned out with the best result, not the worst. I guess Tom and I had better be careful - Mary pointed out that she, Mark, and you have all had finger injuries now. Hope it continues to heal correctly and quickly!!
    Jen :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin