On These Pages Are The Stories Of Our Family We Go Together ! Welcome To The World As Viewed Through Our Eyes
Lynette .......... Caedmon .......... Libby .......... Tom

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Conviction and Servanthood


Look at these two precious children. Who wouldn't want to spend all day, every day with them? Any mothers (or fathers, for that matter) can understand my sentiments when I say that some days I have the urge to run far away, if only to have a few hours...or maybe days to myself.

I am attending a great Bible study this summer. It has been such a welcome blessing. I spent my first 5 years in Dallas studying the Bible with an amazing group of women at our church there. This past year, I made the decision not to attend since the drive made for a long morning for my two children. I tried to find a study nearby but it just wasn't working with my newborn's schedule for morning naps. I don't think I realized how very much I missed it until I got plugged into this current study. It has been so refreshing to be in God's Word daily and also to be connected with a group of women who are in varying stages of life. I have even been awaking before my kids (and if you know my kids, you know that's pretty crazy) and spending the first moments of my day immersed in God's Word. Maybe I was feeling a little proud of this because in the past 24 hours I have been humbled!

The Bible study is a study of the life of David (Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed: A Study of David ) and the focus for this week is on how we have been anointed to do whatever task is placed before us. For me, at this time in my life, that would be mainly to raise my children. Thus, I finished my study yesterday morning, feeling empowered to be a great mom. Ha! Yesterday was one of those days where Caedmon was doubly full of questions and honestly, most of them were just plain dumb. Questions he knew the answer to but I think he just wanted to hear himself...and me talk. What's a bulldozer? a turtle? a policeman? When I tried to throw the question back at him, he refused to answer and would continue to pepper me with the same question until I answered or could somehow distract him. I was feeling like the loony bin was calling my name. And to top it off, he didn't take a nap! I sent him to his room for an hour of quiet time, but even throughout that hour, he tried to throw questions my way. "Hey mom, just one more question!" rang from his room every few minutes. I was thankful that Tom's parents would arrive to help before bedtime and also, anticipating that Caedmon would sleep long and hard after such a busy day. I think I breathed an audible sigh of relief when I got him tucked into bed last night.

A smart mama would have gone off to bed early, too. However, Tom was working so I decided to stay up a little late and watch a chick flick. Alas, it was not in my plan to hear the panicked call of a 3 year old at 1:30 am! Caedmon needed help pottying. I guess I should have been glad that it didn't involve changing bedsheets, right? All he needed was some moral support and a hug and a kiss. Unfortunately, the calls continued at least 3 more times over the course of the next 2 hours - potty, tissue, etc. By the 4th and final call, I literally asked God what in the world He is trying to teach me. I was somewhat comforted by the fact that perhaps Caedmon would sleep in a bit since it was now 3:30 am. However, at 5:45, 25 minutes before his "allowed" wake-up time, he was yelling once again. Now, not only was the night miserable, today seemed to be doomed as well.

Once I got everyone up and fed, I took a glance at my Google reader and saw this blog entry at It's Almost Naptime. Conviction! What is God trying to teach me? Servanthood. I am entrusted with the stewardship of my two children. They are blessings! Being a servant isn't supposed to be easy. When given a choice of jobs, most people would easily pick the ones that involve being served over serving, right? Thanks to Missy at It's Almost Naptime for allowing God to use her to remind me of my calling.

Today, I choose rely on God's strength to serve my children with joy.


God's servant must not be argumentative, but a gentle listener and a teacher who keeps cool, working firmly but patiently with those who refuse to obey. You never know how or when God might sober them up with a change of heart and a turning to the truth, enabling them to escape the Devil's trap, where they are caught and held captive, forced to run his errands.
2 Timothy 2:24-26 (the Message)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I sure needed that reminder, too.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin