On These Pages Are The Stories Of Our Family We Go Together ! Welcome To The World As Viewed Through Our Eyes
Lynette .......... Caedmon .......... Libby .......... Tom

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wonderful One!


Libby is 1 today! I can't believe a whole year has passed. She is such a blessing to our family. Tom just commented the other day that she is the one who makes us laugh. She is just so full of joy and her smile and laughter are contagious. The past few months have brought a lot of change to our little girl. She has come alive and is quickly changing from a baby into a toddler.

Her verbal abilities seem to expand by the day. She doesn't have that many words but she certainly find effective ways to communicate. She is beginning to sign. So far, she uses "more" and "all done" the most but she is also learning "up" and "dog". We're really working hard to encourage her to use words, whether verbal or signed, instead of whining. We've heard this is one thing to teach early for girls. She also has a growing vocabulary of verbal words - mama, daddy, done, hi, bye, and I know there are others that I just haven't figured out. We're pretty sure that she says Caedmon in some form, too.

Just a month ago, Libby stood for the first time. Today she is a cruising machine. She loves to be on the move. We have an area of our living room "fenced" off so she can roam freely and safely. However, she gets tired of being contained and was finding ways to escape until we changed the set up. I think we are still a while away from walking, but with her, you never know!



Libby loves music. She smiles and smiles when music is playing. She doesn't even seem to mind when there are several competing tunes playing at the same time. In fact, she seems to aim for that as she'll turn on her learning table, the Fridge DJ and her little MP3 player all at the same time.


She also loves to play with her kitchen. We bought the kitchen for Caedmon for Christmas last year with full anticipation that someday she would enjoy it too. We never thought that she'd be playing with it already. She loves to stand at the kitchen and open and close doors and put things in the sink. It can entertain her for a good 10 minutes, which is saying a lot for a 12 month old. She gets way more use out of it than Caedmon at this point. Tom recently told me that maybe we should put it away and bring it out again when she is older. No way! She loves it already and I think it will be a favorite for a few more years to come.



Libby has recently begun to give hugs and kisses. In particular she kisses daddy and hugs mommy. It is a rare occasion when it's the other way around. I have received only two or three kisses and I don't think Tom has ever received a hug. We don't know why that discrepancy is there but alas, perhaps someday she'll be an equal opportunity hugger and kisser.

She continues to be a great eater! She's basically off all baby food and eating whatever we eat. Occasionally, I'll supplement dinner with some avocado, sweet potato or some other healthy thing if she doesn't seem to be eating a lot, but for the most part, she's feeding herself and loving everything. She is even warming up to the idea of drinking milk. As of today, I have nursed her for a year (patting myself on the back) which was my goal and she has seemed to enjoy it and is fine with it ending. For the past 3 weeks, she has only nursed first thing in the morning and the time continued to shorten so as of today, she is weaned! I have been concerned because she has never wanted to drink from a bottle and has turned her nose up to formula and milk. However, she is doing much better with the sippy cup and I am managing to increase her milk intake slowly. I'm sure it's not at gold standard but she eats lots of dairy and vitamin rich veggies so we'll take what we can get. She's also finally learned to hold the sippy herself which was met with cheers from Mama!


Two of my favorite times with Libby are first thing in the morning and bedtime. When she awakes, I get her up and take her into Caedmon's room. She is always so excited to see her brother! Caedmon is excited to see her, too. He always makes sure to hug and kiss her and loves for her to sit on his bed and play with his stuffed animals. It is such a blessing to see them loving each other! Libby's bedtime routine has fallen to me almost exclusively probably because of the nursing. Even though I stopped bedtime feedings almost a month ago, I continue to do the bedtime routine. She loves to have her teeth brushed! I also started reading Time for Bed by Mem Fox to her every night. Caedmon's book was Goodnight Moon but I thought it would be special for her to have her own book. As I read, I do the animal sign and also tell her what noise the animal makes. She especially likes the bee because I always tickle her on that one. I love to hear her giggle and giggle. At the end of the book, she always points to the sleeping girl. Then, we pray and finally, she gives me a sweet hug. It is such a precious time. I know that Tom needs to share in her bedtimes so she is flexible with her routine, but it really is a sweet time for me to spend with my baby girl!

It has been so neat to see God weave Libby into the fabric of our family. The first months with a new baby are so stressful and tiring. I can remember wondering how everyone else would come to love her as much as I, the mama, does. There is no question now. Libby has brought so much joy to our little family. We can't imagine life without her and look forward to watching her continue to grow and blossom over the next year!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post! I can't believe she is 1 and in only 3 weeks I will also have a 1 year old. So great to see all they are learning to do.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin