On These Pages Are The Stories Of Our Family We Go Together ! Welcome To The World As Viewed Through Our Eyes
Lynette .......... Caedmon .......... Libby .......... Tom

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Early Bird

Caedmon has always been an early riser. Tom is an early riser, too, so he usually praises Caedmon for this trait. I, on the other hand, would like to sleep until 7 every day. Yes, by early riser, I mean ALWAYS before the sun. We have been on decent routines before where he wouldn't wake until 6 or 6:30...for a while it was often 7 (ahh, bliss!). However, for the past month or so, Caedmon has awakened in the 5 o'clock hour. Most often between 5:15 and 5:30. Libby is still nursing and her early morning feed is at 5 so this means that I have been awaking at 5 everyday for many, many days. I recently cracked open my "Sleep Lady" book to see what she had to say. Basically, she says it's not a problem if the child seems fully awake and not to tired and cranky later in the day. Well, Caedmon has also been throwing tantrums quite often about 1 hour after he awakes. He is definitely NOT getting enough sleep.

Therefore, we have instituted the sleep crack down.

Yesterday (before I read "The Sleep Lady"), I made him stay in bed until 6. I was in his room for the last 15 minutes of my crack down and I was the one in bed. He was playing with his trains.

However, this morning, we have set his alarm clock for 6:45 and informed him that we are not coming to get him until his music comes on.

He started calling for "Daddy" sometime around 4 am. Tom went up to check on him and reiterate the new sleep rules around 4:40 AM. He was quiet until Tom left for work about 30 minutes later. Since then, the yelling and demands have been constant.

"Mommy, I want to come downstairs."
"Mommy, I want to be fed."
"Mommy, I'm done sleeping."
"Mommy, I'm thirsty."
"Mommy, come up."

By the time Libby was fed and put back to bed at 5:45, I was beginning to weaken. I texted Tom several times and finally, he called with some moral support -

"He's not crying. He's being stubborn. Make him wait it out."

Thus, I will continue to be the strong mommy for another 45 minutes. Oh, the joys of parenting. The Sleep Lady says this training can take as long as 3 or 4 weeks. I suppose the results will be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is tough. I will pray for you when I am up for the feeding in the 5-6 am hour.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin