On These Pages Are The Stories Of Our Family We Go Together ! Welcome To The World As Viewed Through Our Eyes
Lynette .......... Caedmon .......... Libby .......... Tom

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

3.5 Months



I've been posting a lot about Caedmon lately so I thought I should do an update on Libby. She is now 3 1/2 months old. Where has the time gone? For me it has been both fast and slow. It seems really fast when I look at her and see her fitting into 3-6 month clothes, holding her head high, and interacting with us. However, it seems slow when I register my lack of sleep and the struggles of understanding her needs and wants. Overall, she is a definite blessing to our family. I look forward to the months and years to come as we see even more how she fits with us. Her personality is just starting to emerge. When I look at Caedmon, I stand in wonder thinking of all he's learned over the past 2 + years and I can't even fathom what Libby will be like when she is the same age.

She is VERY different from Caedmon. Although I don't claim to have a full grasp of her personality yet, I'm starting to pick up on more and more hints of who she is. She is full of personality and definitely a people person. She does not like to be alone. If we leave her somewhere (i.e. her swing or playmat) and walk away, she will only be happy for a few seconds, but as long as someone is nearby she will play contentedly for much longer and is even happier if that person is interacting with her. When we are out and about, she will not sleep. I remember Caedmon sleeping through full shopping trips or dinners out. Not Libby. If she senses that there are people who may interact with her, she's awake and flashing her smiles. She, especially, loves her brother. When Caedmon is around, she is watching him and often smiling and cooing to get his attention. He knows he's her audience. Yesterday, out of the blue, he announced, "She loves me."


Her sleep routine is beginning to fall into place. She is not the best napper yet, but we can count on bedtime at 7:30. She tends to start getting fussy at dinner time and by 7 pm we better be heading toward bath time. She LOVES her baths. She can be in full out melt down mode and once we put her in the water it is all smiles and splashing good fun.


The good thing is she can be fairly flexible with sleep when we are out. I had a meeting on Tuesday night and had to bring her with me to feed her (another issue I'll discuss further on) but it would mean that she was up past her bedtime. I was prepared for the worst, but once she fussed for a while, she was perfectly happy to make herself the center of attention, charming everyone with her smiles and tricks. She was definitely ready for bed by the time we got home at 9:30 and was willing to skip her bath to head straight to her crib. She's starting to make longer stretches at night, too. Most of the time she can make it to the middle of the night 2:30 or 3 and then not wake again til almost morning. I'm still holding out for better days ahead but the early bedtime makes it all a bit better.

She has a strong will. Daytime napping is a struggle because she does not go down quietly. She cries long and loud and then finally gives in to her need for sleep. It is not fun to listen to her cry but we've found that it is the only way she will sleep. If we try to coax her to sleep, she stays awake for the interaction. She often tries to trick us into thinking that she's really not that tired. However, I have learned that 1 1/2 to 2 hours of awake time is about her limit. At least, we're learning. Another illustration of her strong will is our eating dilemma. This week she is refusing to take a bottle. I breastfeed but we have always tried to give her bottles as well. A month or so ago, she started getting a little funny about the bottle and I was having trouble pumping enough milk so we slacked off. However, I need a break so we decided to make bottle feeding a daily part of her routine. On Saturday I used formula for a trip to the zoo. Libby drank all of it. However, on Sunday, Tom tried the bottle again. This time with breast milk. Well, Miss Libby refused the bottle and went on a 6 hour hunger strike. Any time she even sees the bottle coming near her she screams. I'm a more than a bit frustrated by this experience and my Internet research does not offer me much hope. However, I am praying (and appreciate any other prayers) that she will come around and be willing to take just one bottle a day.

Caedmon has always been Mr. Easy Going. I didn't realize it at the time, but this was even demonstrated in his physical development. He was so content to just hang out that he didn't even roll over until he was over 6 months old. Libby, on the other hand, has already mastered rolling over from front to back and is really close to rolling back to front. I have a feeling that even Caedmon's monkey climbing, jumping and running have not prepared me for what our little angel is gearing up to do!

I'm sure there's much more I could say but I think I've presented a pretty good picture of our baby girl. She keeps us on our toes but we love her more than words can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin